Merrow’s War memorial stands in the grounds of St John’s Churchyard Merrow.
Erected and dedicated in 1920 it bears the inscription “This cross was erected by the people of Merrow in memory of the men of the village, who, in the Great War, 1914-1918, laid down their lives for their King and country, in the cause of justice and humanity”.
Further sacrifice by the People of Merrow followed during the Second World War and their names , together with those lost in WWI, are recorded on the plinth bearing the cross. Its former glory can be seen at www.fostj.org/360/
The Memorial was cleaned and repaired in 2002 . It has weathered many storms in the last 20 years but storm Eunice, in February 2022, unfortunately cast the pillar and cross to the ground.
The Friends of St Johns (FoStJ) have taken on the coordination of the effort to strengthen and restore this community asset to its former glory in order to give continuing recognition to those brave souls who gave their lives that we may live in freedom and peace.
An estimate has been obtained in the sum of £4,068 which would enable the Memorial to be repaired for Remembrance Day 2022.
If you feel able to support the Memorial’s restoration, then please donate via the link below or follow the QR code