A church has stood on this prominent corner of Epsom Road for over eight centuries and has played a vital part in the history of Merrow. The first church on the site was built in the 12th Century and over the years it grew and then fell into disrepair until by 1840 it was in a ruinous state. A generous and anonymous donation enabled the church to be rebuilt, largely to its 14th century design, by the famous architect RC Hussey. With a major extension in the 1880’s, the shape of the building emerged essentially as we see it today.
Considerable elements of the original, period architectural detail remains today including the vaulted roof with structural timber beams, original, stone mullioned, stained glass windows, stone arches and large supporting columns.
This much loved building continues to need never ending care to preserve its fabric and maintain its historic roots in Merrow village life.
Click here for a Brief Guide to the Church’s History
Are you searching for a Family Grave ? Over 400 Graves are registered here: St John’s Merrow Graves